HM Treasury is the government’s economic and finance ministry, maintaining control over public spending, setting the direction of the UK’s economic policy and working to achieve strong and sustainable economic growth.
HM Treasury (HMT) is the UK’s economic and finance ministry. It is responsible for formulating and implementing the government’s financial and economic policy. Its aim is to raise the rate of sustainable growth and achieve rising prosperity and a better quality of life with economic and employment opportunities for all.
The Treasury is a department of roughly 2000 civil servants, that has provided advice on economic policy and decisions that affect the public finances throughout the country’s history.
The current departmental objectives are to:
- place the public finances on a sustainable footing;
- ensure the stability of the macro-economic environment and financial system, enabling strong, sustainable and balanced growth; and
- increase employment and productivity, and ensure strong growth and competitiveness across all regions of the UK through a comprehensive package of structural reforms.
More information can be found here: About us – HM Treasury – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
We are responsible for:
- public spending: including departmental spending, public sector pay and pension, annually managed expenditure (AME) and welfare policy, and capital investment
- financial services policy: including banking and financial services regulation, financial stability, and ensuring competitiveness in the City
- strategic oversight of the UK tax system: including direct, indirect, business, property, personal tax, and corporation tax
- the delivery of infrastructure projects across the public sector and facilitating private sector investment into UK infrastructure
- ensuring the economy is growing sustainably
Who we are
Access our information
Director of Business and International Tax
This is an exciting leadership role, spanning the Treasury’s finance and economics ministry functions.
Deputy Director, Banking Assets and Resolution Strategy
You will be successfully leading and providing direction to a diverse and fast-paced team (leadership)